© 2024 Canadian Malnutrition Task Force
COVID-19 SUPPORT RESOURCES
As we all try to navigate through this unprecedented and extremely challenging COVID-19 pandemic, the Canadian Malnutrition Task Force (CMTF) is compiling a list of resources that may be useful to our network. We will continually update this page as more materials become available. At the same time, if you have come across resources that have helped you, please send them our way and we will add them to the site. Please ensure to access local resources that support you in meeting local requirements and direction.
Thank you to the dedicated health care professionals who are providing care, and a special mention to the dietetics and food service staff who are working hard to provide the comfort of quality nutrition food to Canadians. You are so appreciated. Please stay well.
- COVID-19 Support Webinar Recordings, Hamilton Family Health Team
- Staying Heart Healthy During COVID-19
- What to Do During COVID-19 If you Have Diabetes - English and another in Portuguese
- Nourishing your Mental Health During COVID-19 Food and Mood: Diet and Depression
- Self Care Through Food: Managing Stress and Emotional Eating During COVID-19
- COVID-19 and implications on nutrition therapy, Fresenius Kabi
- Feeding the critically ill COVID-19 patient: From recommendations to bedside (Apr. 14, 2020) - Dr. Pierre Singer, Dr. Juan Carlos Lopez-Delgado and Dr. Roman Tetamo
- How to optimize nutrition on the road to recovery (Apr. 28, 2020) - Dr. Elisabeth De Wale, Dr. Michael Hiesmayr, Dr. Martin Brodsky
- COVID-19 and frailty – Importance of nutrition and exercise in the community (May 12, 2020)
- COVID-19 / Importance of Nutrition in Supporting Immune System, ILSI North America (Apr. 28, 2020) - Dr. Stéphane Vidry, Dr. Chrisitian Marin-Muller, Dr. Simin Nikbin Meydani
- Nutrition in Immune Response Against Viral Infection ILSI North America (May 5, 2020) - Philip Calder, PhD, DPhil, RNutr, FSB, FAfn, BSc. (Hons)
- Managing Nutrition Support for Critically Ill COVID-19 Patients (Slides), ASPEN and SCCM - Beth Taylor, Dr. Robert Martindale, Dr. Jayshil Patel
- Enteral Nutrition in the ICU: COVID 19 Challenges (recording), Nestlé Nutrition Institute - Dr. Robert Martindale and Dr. Jayshil Patel
- SARS-CoV-2 Nutrition: An Evolving Perspective, Nestlé Nutrition Institute - Dr. Juan Ochoa
- Nutrition of the Critically Ill COVID-19 Patient - Making it Simple, European Society of Intensive Care Medicine - Dr. Mette Berge and Dr. Claude Pichard
- COVID-19 – Nutritional Support in the ICU (recording), Nutricia & BDA Critical Care Specialist Gro - Liesl Wandrag, Danielle Bear
- Nutritional management of patients with COVID-19: What dietitians need to know - two-part series (recording), Dietitian Connection Australia
- Nutrition Management for Critically Ill Patients with COVID-19 - Dr. Emma Ridley
- Nutrition support in patients with severe respiratory disease: from hospital to home – Dr. Peter Collins
- COVID-19 and Diabetes - What do we know?, Diabetes Canada - Dr. Peter Lin and Dr. Alice Cheng
- Providing Nutrition Services via Telehealth During the COVID-19 Pandemic: What RDNs Need to Know, Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics - Marsha Schofield, Pepin Tuma, Dana Buelsing
- On-Demand HERO Series - HELPING EMPOWER RECOVERY, Baxter Global Nutrition
- PART 1: NUTRITION MANAGEMENT OF COVID-19 ICU PATIENTS (Apr. 10, 2020) - Dr. Robert Martindale and Dr. Jayshil Patel
- PART 2: RESTRUCTURING NUTRITION SUPPORT SERVICES TO FACILITATE CARE FOR COVID-19 PATIENTS (Apr. 16, 2020) - Ella Terblanche, RD
- PART 3: EARLY NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTATION IN NON-ICU HOSPITALIZED COVID-19 PATIENTS (Apr. 23, 2020) - Alessandro Laviano, MD and Riccardo Caccialanza, MD
- PART 4: ADDRESSING NUTRITIONAL CHALLENGES OF COVID-19 PATIENTS FROM ASSESSMENT TO DISCHARGE (Apr. 30, 2020) - Dr. Paul Wischmeyer M.D., E.D.I.C., FASPEN, FCCM
- Guidance for Endoscopy Facilities to Reduce and Delay Transmission of COVID-19, CAG - Drs. Frances Tse, Kevin Waschke, Grigorios Leontiadis and Jeff Hawel
- Nutrition & Immunity Podcast Series, Abbott Nutrition Health Institute
- In this series, you’ll hear a panel of world-renown experts discuss nutrition guidelines for caring for COVID-19 patients.
- Nutrition Post ICU, Nestlé Health Sciences - Dr. Lesley Moisey
- Enhancing the Nutrition Care of Survivors of Critical Illness: Why it Matters and How We Can Improve, Nestlé Health Sciences - Dr. Lesley Moisey
- COVID-19 Nutrition Care for Critical Care (Apr. 14, 2020) - Dr. Paul Wischmeyer
Resources for Researchers
- CIHR COVID-19, the go-to webpage for up-to-date CIHR funding opportunities, policies and other news related to COVID-19
- Crowdhelix, a global online tool for COVID-19 researchers to connect and stay up to date on funding news and opportunities
- CanCOVID, an expert network of Canadian COVID-19 researchers, clinical collaborators, and healthcare stakeholders from across the country.
- COVID-END, a tool to to help reduce duplication in and better coordinate the evidence syntheses, technology assessment and guidelines being produced.
- COVID-19 Resources Canada, a central hub designed to help those involved in COVID-19 research and development in Canada to locate human resources, expertise, reagents, equipment and information.
- NSERC Alliance COVID-19 grants, University researchers collaborating with private-sector, public-sector or not-for-profit organizations
- Tri-agency college grants: Applied Research Rapid Response to COVID-19, through the College and Community Innovation program, this funding opportunity will further leverage the expertise and infrastructure in these post-secondary institutions to rapidly mobilize support and expertise related to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- College and Community Innovation Program – Applied Research Rapid Response to COVID-19, to accelerate the transfer and application of applied research and of expertise for local community organizations and partners from the public, private, and not-for-profit sectors on COVID-19 related topics.
American Society for Nutrition
ASPEN (American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition)
- Resources for Clinicians Caring for Patients with Coronavirus
- Nutrition Therapy in the Patient with COVID-19 Disease Requiring ICU Care
- Nutrition and Hydration: Key Weapons in the Fight Against COVID-19 (Paper) and Quick Facts
- Nutrition Support for Critically Ill Patients with COVID-19 Disease: Top 10 Key Recommendations (Video)
- ASPEN Report on Nutrition Support Practice Processes With COVID-19: The First Response
- Ethical Framework for Nutrition Support Resource Allocation During Shortages: Lessons From COVID‐19
- COVID-19: What’s Next—Preparing for the Second Wave (online conference, Sept. 11-12, 2020)
Australasian Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (AuSPEN)
BAPEN (British Association for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition)
British Dietetic Association (BDA)
- BDA Critical Care Specialist Group COVID-19 Best Practice Guidance: Enteral Feeding in Prone Position
- Malnutrition Pathway COVID-19 Leaflets
Canadian Association of Gastroenterologists
- CAG Advice Regarding COVID-19 and Endoscopy
- CAG Framework for the Resumption of Endoscopic Activities
Canadian Nutrition Society (CNS)
COVID-19 and Nutrition Infographic
This COVID-19 and Nutrition infographic provides guidance on how to stay strong and healthy through good nutrition.
CNS gratefully acknowledges the initiative and leadership of Amber Hutchinson, MSc (University of Guelph) and Shirin Panahi, PhD (Université Laval) for researching and developing this infographic. We would like to also thank reviewers Carlota Basualdo-Hammond RD MSc MPH; Alison Duncan, PhD RD; Catherine Field, PhD RD; and Zannat Reza, RD for their valuable input on this resource.
Food is medicine
Patients with COVID-19 who required a hospital stay (including ICU or in a hospital ward) will have a long road to recovery after they return home. Nutrition plays an important role in a patient’s recovery process. CMTF and CNS are pleased to announce the creation of two nutrition resources that were developed to help patients and their families, and nutrition clinicians across the country.
The development of these infographics was led by Roseann Nasser, RD, MSc, FDC, CNSC, and Lesley Moisey, RD, PhD, with collaborators: Cathy Alberda, MSc, RD, Savita Bector, MSc, RD, Leah Gramlich, MD, FRCPC, Jaime Green, RD, Jan Greenwood, RD, Daren Heyland, MD, MSc, Heather Keller, RD, PhD, FDC, FCAHS, Manon Laporte, RD, MSc, CNSC.
A special thank you to Shirin Panahi, PhD, for designing and supporting content revisions.
|What Can I Eat at Home After Being in the Intensive Care Unit with COVID-19?
Designed to support the recovery of critically ill patients with COVID-19 directly discharged at home
|What Can I Eat at Home After Being in the Hospital with COVID-19?
Designed for patients who were hospitalized for Covid-19 and discharged home.
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)
Mental health and the COVID-19 Pandemic - Tips, coping strategies and resources for the public and health care workers
College of Dietitians of Ontario
Dietitians of Canada
- List of relevant resources – note that you must be a DC member to access this information
- Dietitians of Canada Facebook group – Dietitians of Canada has launched a temporary Facebook group that is open to all dietitians and nutrition students in Canada, regardless of DC membership status
- PEN – COVID 19 and Nutrition – COVID Pathways – This information, along with the rest of the PEN system is temporarily open access
- Advice for the general public about COVID-19
European Federation of Association of Dietitians
European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism (ESPEN)
- ESPEN expert statements and practical guidance for nutritional management of individuals with SARS-CoV-2 infection
- Up-to-date material for direct guidance in nutritional care
Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine (UK)
- Joint COVID-19 Guidance Website – The UK Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine, UK Intensive Care Society, UK Association of Anaesthetists and UK Royal College of Anaesthetists have developed a joint website to provide the UK intensive care and anaesthetic community with information, guidance and resources required to support their understanding of and management of COVID-19
- Guidelines for the Provision of Intensive Care Services V2 – This document was designed to be used as the definitive reference source for planning and delivery of UK Intensive Care Services
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Government of Canada
- Epidemiological summary of COVID-19 cases in Canada
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): For health professionals
- Latest CFIA information for consumers on food and animal health – COVID-19
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and food safety
- Healthy eating during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Your eating habits during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Meal planning during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Visit Canada.ca/coronavirus for information, answers to frequently asked questions and the latest updates
- Provincial Public Health Authorities:
Institute for Sustainable Food Systems, Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Institute for Sustainable Food Systems, Kwantlen Polytechnic University partnered with four other universities across Canada and conducted a study on food access, concerns and food system perceptions during the COVID-19 pandemic first wave.
- Inter-Provincial Survey: Food Access, Concerns and Perceptions During the COVID-19 Pandemic, 2020
- Survey finds COVID-19 has Canadians asking for better food systems and food access
International Science Council
NNEdPro Global Centre for Nutrition and Health
- Combatting COVID-19 – A 10-Point Summary on Diet, Nutrition and the Role of Micronutrients
- COVID-19 Microsite
- Infant and Young Child Feeding in the Context of COVID-19
- Mitigating the Effects of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Food and the Nutrition of School Children
University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine - Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Webpage Hub - Clinical Support Resources - webinars, resources, scholarships and programming
World Health Organization (WHO)
- Food and nutrition tips during self-quarantine
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) - Advice for the Public
- Basic Procedures to Assess and Treat Oropharyngeal Dysphagia in Patients with COVID-19 Infection, Hospital de Mataro, Catalonia, Spain